In order to save drawcalls, the engine combines identical elements of an object into one renderpass. It is mainly used on complex objects, which have a lot of separate internal parts, like fences or tanks, where a lot of similar objects are used or animated.
Sample File: instancing_fence.max
General Setup in 3d applications
* The elements of an object need to have the same vertex index, the same UVs, the same material.
- elements can be translated, rotated and uniformally scaled
- example picture of instanced elements fence (instances are blue)
General modelling workflow tips:
* use the instance function within max to ensure identical assets
- rotate, scale objects to give variation
- do not reset xform your instances!
Setup in Sandbox
no special setup needed in Sandbox, just place your object as brush or simple entity.
* r_GeomInstancing 1/0 toggles the instancing on and off